Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day 2015


It’s my privilege to write our blog post for Father’s Days this year. I have thought long and hard about how to honor all the fathers out there and here is what I came up with. Being a dad of special needs kids has brought many highs and lows over the years. For me I have not always appreciate what my kids are. I felt like “why me” when we learned our oldest had autism, and then when our youngest started being diagnosed with many things, I thought, “Why was I chosen to be these kids father?” Over the years I have used the word ‘I” way too many times and honestly, I have worn it out.

It wasn’t until I started noticing the small accomplishments that my boys would make each day that I began to quit using the word “I”. I had to take a step back and realize that even though I have sacrificed quite a bit so my kids can have everything they need, in all reality that is my role as a father. I think that the sacrifices I have made as a father are very small compared to the sacrifices my kids will have to make in their lives.

 My own parents sacrificed many things so I could play sports, go fishing each year with my dad, and have a yearly family vacation. As a father I want the same for my kids. Although my situation is much different from my parents, my goals are the same. I never want my kids to think I suffer because of them. I really try every day to find ways to show them we are very blessed in life.

I am very grateful that the children I have been given have made me a better person and father. Although I’m sure I’d talk about poop a whole lot less without them, I wouldn’t change my life for anything.

 This Father’s Day I pay tribute to all the Father’s out there that sacrifice so their children have everything they need. I have gotten to know many of the Special Needs Fathers out there, and you are all heroes! May we all, as Fathers, continue to have the strength to do the things that are necessary so our little heroes have a long and healthy life.

I wish all the fathers out there a great Father’s Day!


Scott Christensen

1 comment:

  1. Who ever wrote this is an amazing writer. You are lucky to have him in your group.

    ReplyDelete