Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Day my Daughter became a Princess

I have a precious 7 year old princess named Isabelle Grace. It is ironic that I chose this name because it translates to “Gift of God’s grace”. I didn’t understand how profound that decision was until years later. Isabelle has a rare genetic disorder called Rett Syndrome. Rett Syndrome is a fluke genetic disorder. At birth, they are beautiful and perfect; ten toes, ten fingers, bright eyes and a coo to melt any mother’s heart. Sadly, many of the things we take for granted were robbed from her. Rett Syndrome starts off looking like autism, but it is so much worse. They also develop symptoms of Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Parkinson Syndrome , Autism and in Isabelle’s case, the inability to eat by mouth. She has always been my little princess. Her eyes light up when music is playing and loves to be danced about. Her mind is keen and sharp but she is unable to speak. She speaks volumes with her eyes; you just have to be patient to hear her story.
I had an amazing day with my daughter a few years ago and I  wanted to share with everyone. It was my  nephew’s birthday. He wanted to go see the movie “Brave” and then we all went to dinner at a buffet. Isabelle has never been able to sit through a movie because the noise of the movie becomes overwhelming. For those who have not seen this movie, it is a Disney Princess story of a tomboy princess who wants to follow her own dream and not one dictated by society. While we watched this movie, the thoughts became increasingly strong in my mind. Disney has done something very profound in a very subtle way. My daughter is indeed, a princess. She may not be the tall, willowy, statuesque woman that is typically portrayed; she is a warrior of life. She is beautiful in every admirable way that is not seen by an image alone. She is strong, she is smart, she teaches and leads many, and above all is “Brave”. Tears began to stream down my face as I held her, and I was reaffirmed at how truly amazing my daughter is.
After the movie we made it to dinner. Isabelle is fed through a feeding tube because she does not have the muscle strength to chew. It has become tradition when we eat out to get her a small dish of whipped cream. It melts instantly in her mouth and she can savor the taste of sugar. It is no small feat, mind you. We carefully work with her to keep her hand from her mouth, and to keep the drooled food from becoming too much of a mess. As I sat there, enjoying my daughter in this new light, a kind elderly man came and stood next to me. He asked me my name to which I replied “My name is Syndi and this is my daughter Isabelle”. I am accustomed to introducing her to others. The man bent near to my ear and stated he has been a special education teacher for many years and he wanted me to know that my acts of service and love he witnessed had touched his heart. He wanted me to know that my acts were noticed and that he was proud that I would give my child such love.
What more could a mother ask for? I had a renewed faith in my daughter, and although I was not seeking recognition, my acts were noticed. I am truly blessed to be able to witness how amazing the little things are, and how truly much they matter. That day boosted my confidence a little bit more, and gave me a little more reason to keep learning from my daughter.

1 comment: