Monday, February 23, 2015

Meet Melissa! Super Mom and Northern Utah Parent Advocate



This week it is my turn to be the spotlight board member. I am married to Scott Christensen and we have been married for almost 14 years. We have four kids. Trevor is almost 13 (Autism, ADHD, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, and Intellectual Disability). Jordan is turning 11 in a week (ADHD, Anxiety), Josh is 7 (Microcephaly, Pseudo Obstruction, Dysautonomia, Dysphagia, Dyspraxia, Speech Apraxia, FTT, and a few other diagnosis). Our youngest is Kaitlyn and she is 4. She was a former 33 weeker, who is doing fine with no lingering issues. My position on the Utah Kids Foundation Board is a Northern Utah Parent Advocate as well as the secretary. My hobbies include reading, organizing and spending time with my family….simply because that is all I have time to squeeze inJ One of my favorite quotes I love is “Some Superheros don’t wear capes”. My kids deal with a lot and are an inspiration to me.


The Hardest thing I have ever had to do as a special needs parent is a toss up for me. So I am going to talk about both.
First thing is just being there for procedures and hospital stays with Josh. I love that at Primary’s they are so great to let parents be there for most everything. The downfall of that is having to hold him down for yet another painful thing, or something he is scared to do. It’s emotionally overwhelming to have to try to explain to Josh that he needs this stuff to get feeling better, when I know he really has no comprehension of what is going on. His record for IV’s was 32 in a 5 day period. He is amazing at adapting and I think a lot of times it’s harder on me than him. We have been to the OR probably around 40 times now and he is a trooper. He knows where we give a kiss goodbye and tells me bye without any tears anymore. Wish it was that easy for me. The second hardest thing I deal with is simply the division of my time. Josh is my most time consuming on a daily basis. He is on a lot of meds, has a GJ tube and is TPN dependent so has a central line too. Just doing daily cares is hard and having other kids who feel like I don’t pay attention to them is hard.



10 interesting or little known facts about me:

      *I lived in Arizona and was a cheerleader for 2 years.
     * I love to organize and label things
     *I am addicted to Mountain Dew…by default and lack of sleep.
     *My favorite color is pink.
     *I used to work for Delta Airlines and because of that was able to go back east      and visit family, as well as go to Disneyland for the day a couple times.
     *I have spend most of my life taking care of people. My sisters when I was         younger, cousins, a great uncle and my grandpa.
     *I love amusement park rides. The scarier the better.
I     *I hate horror or scary movies. They mess with my mind.
     *I played Tennis in 9th and 10th grades.
     *I also played softball for several years and loved it.


   Some of my favorite pictures:








No comments:

Post a Comment