Monday, March 16, 2015

Meet Nadine - our Utah Kids Events Calendar Coordinator!

Hello! My name is Nadine Stoliby Braxton. I am the events coordinator for the Utah Kids Foundation. My job is to keep the events calendar updated. I receive the emails with the events for the Utah Kids Foundation and post them to the events calendar on the website. I also post them in the facebook group page.
 I was a military child, born in Indiana but moved around a lot. I spent a lot of my adult life in Mississippi and Texas. My grandfather was a full blood Choctaw from the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. My daughter Jessi, grandson Dakota and I are tribal members of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. They both were born in Mississippi and moved in with me when I lived in Texas when Dakota was 6 months old. It's been a whirlwind since then to say the least!
 We moved to Utah when I lost my job in Texas and got rehired by the same company in Utah. I have been in the printing business for over 30 years. My daughter works not far from me at Discover. Dakota is 8 and in the third grade at Holbrook Elementary in Bountiful, where we live. My mother came up from Arizona and moved in with us, so we have 4 generations in our household.
 Dakota is the man of my life! He amazes me, he is my number one hero. He was diagnosed with high functioning Autism, Oppositional Defiance Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder at the age of five, after 2 years of not knowing what was wrong with him and fighting for months trying to find out. In 2013 he also started having seizures at night and just recently was diagnosed with some anxiety issues. I am his biggest advocate. I do not mind going up to his school and having large conversations about his IEP and whether or not it is being followed 100%, which most of the time it isn't. Everyone at the school knows who I am and who belongs to me.
 Dakota is probably what I would call my main hobby, he takes up most of my time, but I love rodeo and pow wows! Weird mix, I know, but that's just me. I love the western world, and my Indian blood runs wild at pow wows. My Mom is from Louisiana and we love Cajun food, but I got to have some Indian Fry bread whenever I can! I love the mountains, small towns and road trips. I can ride around all day just looking at the countryside, beautiful scenery and everything a small town has to offer. Dakota loves to swim and Great Wolf Lodge is our favorite place to go, so we save up every year to go.
 My favorite quote is "Don't let small minds convince you that your Dreams are too Big".
However, there is a Native American Prayer that I cannot leave out.
"May the Warm Winds of Heaven
Blow softly upon your house.
May the Great Spirit
Bless all who enter there.
May your Mocassins
Make happy tracks
in many snows,
and may the Rainbow
Always touch your shoulder."

 The hardest thing I've had to do as a Special Needs Grandparent is to watch my grandson, Dakota, try so  hard to fit in. He has such a hard time at school. Sometimes I feel like we are making him suffer by making him go to school everyday. He has very few friends, which breaks my heart. I just want to be with him all day to protect him from getting his feelings hurt. He is so smart, so bright and so fun to be with when he is in the right environment. When he was in kindergarten, the principal refused to have him tested. He wanted to go to school so bad, but his days were so terrible that I hated dropping him off everyday. I would cry when I dropped him off because he spent so much time in detention. And I knew what a great kid he really was!
 I just pray that some day he will understand how to navigate in this world. It's so heartbreaking to see any child with health issues.

10 Little known facts about me.
1. Since a very early age I have always wanted to be a Cowboy!
2. Once I rode in the opening ceremony at the Dixie Nationals Rodeo.
3. I once owned a horse that kicked me in the chin and busted it open, and once he stopped so suddenly that he threw me and I landed upside down hanging on a barbed wire fence.
4. I could eat Mudbugs (boiled crawfish) until I get sick!
5. I can cook Gumbo!
6. I would rather live in the country!
7. I love country music.
8. My greatest accomplishment is helping to raise a sweet, loving, awesome boy!
9. I'm super proud of Dakota just for surviving everyday.
10. I am honored to be a part of the Utah Kids Foundation.

I am so thankful to all the advocates that have tried so hard to help Dakota. He has an awesome 3rd grade teacher, I couldn't ask for better, and our resource teacher is so attentive it's unbelievable. We have had a lot of help from Davis Behavioral Health, our pediatrician is extra awesome, and so is our OT. I'm very thankful that this awesome little boy has came into our lives. He has taught me many things in life. I'm also very thankful that I joined the Utah Kids foundation. I was pointed to the facebook page by friend.
Hello. My name is Jessica. I am so thankful for my mom Nadine Braxton. She is the most dependable person I know. Nadine always takes my son Dakota to his therapy and dr appointments and plans awesome vacations that the whole family can enjoy. She also stands her ground with Dakota's school to get him the assistance he needs. She is not just a great mom but also an excellent Gammy!









No comments:

Post a Comment