Monday, March 30, 2015

Meet Kellie - our Fundraising / Volunteering Coordinator

From a young age always Kellie always wanted a SN child, she has been blessed with 4 (though all low key). Kellie graduated from Ricks College (BYU-I), in Communication and then from University of Utah in Public Communication, learning how to work for a cause and help others to work with her. She met her husband, Brandon Simmons, while at the University of Utah and they got married in 2001. They are now registered foster parents, and reside in Southern Salt Lake County.

Kellie has worked extensively with the PTA, and has loved being of service to her community. She has served as a Public Relations VP, Secretary, and committee chairs-overseeing various weekly events, planned various fundraisers and served as President. She has helped her community embrace their PTA and volunteer where they can. She is always finding new ways people can help in their own capacity. Kellie also teaches creative modern dance. She loves to help children find their inner magic through dance and believes anyone can dance. To Kellie, dance is a magical and personal experience, where she feels most connected to her soul. Kellie loves to be hard at work helping anywhere she can; apparently she's afraid of boredom.

Kellie’s oldest child has severe Amblyopia and is nearly blind in one eye; she also has severe allergies to Wheat, Gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, and most fruits and veggies. Food is a constant challenge and problem at her house. Kellie’s second child has ADHD/ADD. Her third child was born 1 month early and has Asthma and mild CP on her right side. Kellie’s forth child was adopted through foster care, she was born at 25 weeks, she was 1lb 10oz. And has several diagnosis too long to explain, but is a miracle child who is in the process of defying all her odds, but will still struggle through life.

In what spare time the family has, we love to hike, explore, camp, visit museums, parks and go to intersting places, we just like to be together. I’m also supposed to list my hobbies, but I say “Hobbies – who has time?” If I did have time and money for hobbies I would play the cello, paint, be a Yoga and Pilates master, snow ski, water ski (I love water skiing), and one day I want to paraglide.

Tuesday: (Vent Tuesday) "The hardest thing I've had to do as a Special Needs Parent..."

So doctors and therapist’s always say that kids develop at a certain pace and then their is my Ella and Faith, their developmental gap gets wider and wider. I hate that. I don’t generally think about it, to me they are perfect and normal, until I notice the gap. Then it hurts. Like taking Faith to a birthday party, seeing the difference hurts so bad. So I teach modern, creative dance and yes I believe everyone can dance, however it is so hard for me to teach Ella. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but every so many years I teach her class, and it hurts. The other dancers don’t even notice really (well when they were younger they did sometimes, but not usually) but her arm and the way she hold it and such, it hurts inside when I see her dance. She loves to dance and I attribute how well her arm and leg works to dance, and she is so happy when she dances, and she talks about wanting be a dancer like her mommy, but…ya… it won’t happen. It hurts. She wants to play the violin, but her hand doesn’t have the strength to hold a bow, so ya, I avoid putting her in lessons. With Abbey, we didn’t know she was blind in one eye until she was 8, I know dumb mom right. We used to yell and yell at her to not run into the fence while riding a bike. We didn’t know she couldn’t see the fence. It hurts.

So being a SN mom is fabulous, but I hurt inside for so many different reasons, that is the hardest part.

Wednesday: 10 little known/interesting facts about you...and your greatest accomplishments, your family/kids' accomplishments, etc. for "Woot Wednesday".

  1. I lie about my height. My driver’s license says 5’, but I’m shorter than that.
  2. I’ve been to Israel.
  3. One of my nick names is Might Mite, given to me by a lady I taught while serving a mission for the LDS church. I am crazy short but mighty in every way (so she said).
  4. I love houses. While growing up my dad and mom were appraisers and my dad was also a realtor. So we used to go and look at houses inside and out for our Sunday activity.
  5. I used to be able to name all the countries in Africa without looking.
  6. I grew up with a learning disability, but have mostly outgrown or learned to cope.
  7. All those dumb quizzes on FB we take like “What storm are you” or “What Disney character are you” or “what color are you” always come out to say I am someone/thing Fierce. That word is actually used every time. I don’t want to be fierce, I’d like to think I am nice, but apparently I am Fierce.
  8. 90% of my wardrobe comes from my sister’s closet. Hand –me-downs from a few years go. But at least I have clothes I guess, and my sister is quite stylish.
  9. I have water–skiied on top of a pyramid.
  10. I don’t like shoes.

Greatest accomplishments are: mother of 4 daughters, and all of their accomplishments. Serving a mission for the LDS church. Figuring out my daughter Lynaea's metacognition deficit. Lynaea getting a 94% on her math test after I figured out her metacognition issue, that is huge! Abbey won her district debate competion and the school spellin be in the same week, and being on the honor roll. Ella learning to type (a bit) with her CP hand stuff, that was big. Faith learning to walk. My husband and I made it through law school (its a team effort). Being PTA President.

Thursday: Post from spouse, as part of it, they could include why they are thankful for you, for "Thankful Thursday".

I am thankful for Kellie because she never gives up. When confronted with obstacles, lack of support, or long odds, she just keeps pushing forward until she succeeds. I am also grateful that she has a great sense of humor, and loves to laugh. It certainly doesn't hurt that she's beautiful too.

Friday: 7 of your favorite photos for "Foto Friday".

No comments:

Post a Comment